Voxelands Forum

The official Voxelands discussion forum

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-28 00:40:50

Oblivious

Do I have to compile?

I'm just trying to figure out how installing Voxelands works. I'm not a programmer at all, and the idea of compiling anything terrifies me. Can someone clarify that there isn't a way I can simply download it for windows without having to do anything tricky?

I just got Minetest, and it's so easy to download, unzip, and stick in the right place. I like the look of Voxelands better, but it scares me. What should I do?

#2 2018-04-23 05:59:48

jonathan

Re: Do I have to compile?

It's nothing to be afraid of, really! The instructions are in the README.TXT file. It's a little bit of work, but it's worth it! I'm assuming you're using a Debian-based distro like Ubuntu or Mint.

Download the tarball, from https://gitlab.com/voxelands/voxelands/ … ve.tar.bz2. I personally extract this kind of thing to a folder I've created in my home folder, called /bin. Then I rename the folder to simply voxelands-master.

Once it's extracted, you have to open a command shell and cd to ~/bin/voxelands-master.

Execute the directions in the README.TXT:

cmake -DRUN_IN_PLACE=1 .

Use copy-paste so that you don't fudge anything, like the space and period at the end of the line!

If it pops up errors like what I got:
-- IRRLICHT_SOURCE_DIR =
-- IRRLICHT_INCLUDE_DIR = IRRLICHT_INCLUDE_DIR-NOTFOUND
-- IRRLICHT_LIBRARY = IRRLICHT_LIBRARY-NOTFOUND
-- Could NOT find IRRLICHT (missing: IRRLICHT_LIBRARY IRRLICHT_INCLUDE_DIR)
-- Found OpenAL: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libopenal.so 
-- Could NOT find VORBIS (missing: OGG_INCLUDE_DIR VORBIS_INCLUDE_DIR OGG_LIBRARY VORBIS_LIBRARY VORBISFILE_LIBRARY)
-- Sound enabled, but Vorbis libraries not found!
CMake Error at src/CMakeLists.txt:55 (message):
  Sound enabled, but cannot be used.

To continue, either fill in the required paths or disable sound.
  (-DENABLE_AUDIO=0)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

Looks terrible, but DON'T PANIC.

It means you don't have some of the necessary libraries installed which is a simple case of typing the following at the command prompt:

sudo apt install build-essential libirrlicht-dev cmake libbz2-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev libxxf86vm-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libopenal-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev libfreetype6-dev zlib1g-dev libgmp-dev libjsoncpp-dev

run the cmake command as above again, and then, if no errors:

make -j3

It should compile now without errors, and then you just cd to the ~/bin/voxelands-master/bin/ folder, and type the following at the command prompt:

./voxelands

Last edited by jonathan (2018-04-23 06:18:49)

#3 2018-05-01 20:29:22

Alnothur

Well, looks like I won't be playing Voxelands. There's no way in hell I'm going to install 20GiB of Microsoft compiler stuff for this. And it constantly crashes on Linux/AMDGPU.

#4 2018-05-02 17:50:50

cHyper
Website

Alnothur wrote:

Well, looks like I won't be playing Voxelands. There's no way in hell I'm going to install 20GiB of Microsoft compiler stuff for this. And it constantly crashes on Linux/AMDGPU.

when you do not compile windows-build (i do not know how to do it with the latest version of the game) you are able to compile it - hopefully - without any problems. the linux-build is randomly crashing, but i do not know why.

i hope there will be a fixed version soon, as soon there should also be a new windows-build, but i do not know why it came out. Sorry but thats are no good news at the moment.

#5 2018-05-17 01:53:57

Oblivious

All I know is that Debian is Linux, and I know nothing about running Linux. I only do Windows.

Board footer