Voxelands Forum

The official Voxelands discussion forum

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-17 07:52:56

redhound

Voxelands project state

I started to get worried about project future recently, so decided to ask some questions about its current state.

1) Who are the current members of Voxelands dev team?

2) Does Voxelands team have full access to the voxelands.com website source code, hosting and domain name management?

3) Does Voxelands team have full access to the Transifex project? I'm pretty interested in updating russian translation.

4) Who manage the official servers?

And some questions about the future:

5) Is there any plans to publish website source code at GitLab? So anyone with web skills could contribute to the project.

6) Is there any plans to make official servers' maps more persistent? I think there would be more players on them if there will be no unexpected resets. It will help to have some type of map reset policy. I.e. if the map reset is unevitable - notify players using forums and give them some time to finish things and accept the change. If the map reset could wait - reset in on schedule, i.e. once in a year. Better approach is to have 2 servers for each game type - with old and new maps - to provide players with some transition path.

#2 2016-10-27 07:18:44

darkrose
Administrator

Re: Voxelands project state

1. Menche, me, and Emon is also contributing code fairly regularly. I'm mostly working on a new game project, thus Menche is looking after releases.

2. The only copy of the site is the one on the site, the php for api.voxelands.com though is in util/ in the main source tree. I own the server the site runs on, and the nameserver that is master for the domain.

3. Currently only I do, if someone would like to take charge of translations (updating Transifex, and commiting changes back to git) though, then I'd be happy to give access.

4. I do for the main one (servers.voxelands.com), TurtleCat runs the eu servers (uk.servers.voxelands.com).

5. Plans? No. But if you're asking for it to happen, it can.

6. They get reset if they become corrupted, otherwise they're left alone. Besides, at least resetting gets all the new mapgen features (looked in a dungeon recently?).

Support Voxelands on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/voxelands

#3 2016-11-01 14:36:18

neoh4x0r

I think it might be a good idea to mirror the site's source code on gitlab (as least there would be a backup copy of it).

However, there really isn't much on the main site and it would seem that the wiki might be the only thing that needs contributions made by users (even though that could also be done on the actual wiki site).

a good example of a website being included as part of a project: https://github.com/clementine-player/Website.

Also, I know that github has integration for Transifex -- for automatically merging translations into a project.
Have you looked into automating this?

There is txgh (A server that integrates Transifex with GitHub) -- https://github.com/transifex/txgh

A feature request could be made on the txgh project to add support for gitlab platform (I honestly don't know what is involved in adding support for a new platform or what technical information about it they would need).

Last edited by neoh4x0r (2016-11-01 14:50:46)

#4 2016-11-04 15:44:56

redhound

Thanks for the answers, darkrose, and glad to see you are still with Voxelands! smile

darkrose wrote:

3. Currently only I do, if someone would like to take charge of translations (updating Transifex, and commiting changes back to git) though, then I'd be happy to give access.

I have some experience with Transifex and its command-line client, so I can upload / commit changes - if you need someone to look after it.

darkrose wrote:

5. Plans? No. But if you're asking for it to happen, it can.

Well, having public repo for the website would be nice and could make entire project looks more complete.

darkrose wrote:

6. They get reset if they become corrupted, otherwise they're left alone. Besides, at least resetting gets all the new mapgen features (looked in a dungeon recently?).

Sure, I will! smile But it still very frustrating to realize that the old map with all your advancements are... just gone... Hm, maybe we just need to add "Roguelike" to the game's tagline?..

Last edited by redhound (2016-11-04 15:49:43)

Board footer