Voxelands Forum

The official Voxelands discussion forum

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-01 13:46:46

voxelproof

What about texture packs?

Hi,

firstly I'd like to thank darkrose and other co-creators of the game. I appreciate the minimalistic design of the UI and (that's what made me interested in it) slope roofs and diagonal fences. I've spent many hours playing in voxelands and I can say today that I like it more than many other minecraftish games including sometimes really amazing mods of Minetest. As a matter of fact I regard it as the best open-world creation I've played so far (and yeah, I know Minecraft quite well).

But, frankly, it's not the original graphics that made me a Voxelands addict. To be honest I must say that albeit I like the ambience of the game's world, I'm not fond of its textures and colours in particular.  So I changed it to suit my "taste", and if you like I can post some screenshots here.

And this is my suggestion - it would be really great if the future releases implemented "texture packs" for the choice of the player. I think that it would help to upgrade the project from the level "nice" to "very good". I think that modding and texturing was an important part of what made Minecraft such a success. Thanks again and I hope development will be continued with the help of the community and devoted fans (me in that number).

Last edited by voxelproof (2017-08-01 13:48:02)

#2 2017-08-03 18:01:00

darkrose
Administrator

Re: What about texture packs?

I've been redoing quite a few of the default textures for the next release, as they've been bugging me for a while, so you might like them more.

It is possible to set a custom data path, and so point to a different set of textures etc, however there's no direct-from-zip file loading at present, which is what would be needed to truly support texture packs; it likely will happen at some point, but not for a while.

Support Voxelands on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/voxelands

#3 2017-08-04 06:46:12

voxelproof

Re: What about texture packs?

Great. The overall character of the game's visuals is somehow captivating, a little bit surprisingly to me. Since I don't care much about the survival aspects of the voxel-grid open world games and use them mainly as a way of imaginary exploration and creation, the aesthetic aspect is very important to me. Especially as my personal interests focus on psychology of art, I see this open-world genre as sort of canvas to paint on smile Best regards.

(My textures are 32x32 and don't try to make "photorealistic" appearance. I'll let you know when I post the screenshots on the Minetest Forum.)

Last edited by voxelproof (2017-08-04 07:29:28)

Board footer