Voxelands Forum

The official Voxelands discussion forum

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-23 17:15:13

darkrose
Administrator

1508.00 - 1508.01

It's that time again! 1508.00 is now released.

The big news for this release is that we've removed Mese, but replaced it with something more awesome: mithril and enchantments. This adds several new ores (including gems), a new forge to enchant mithril with (and craft enchanted tools on), and hundreds of new tool combinations.

Mithril adds 3 new grades of tools:
Raw Mithril; made from the raw mithril ore, no cooking required, this gives tools that are only slightly better than steel.
Unbound Mithril; cook raw mithril into ingots, just as you would for other metals, and you get Unbound Mithril which makes tools about twice as good as steel (faster, longer lasting).
Enchanted Mithril; enchant mithril by combining unbound mithril with gems at a forge, there's several gem types, each giving their own enchantment effect. You can then mix and match enchantmed mithril when crafting tools (enchanted tool can only be crafted at a forge) to give a variety of effects:

• Ruby gives the Aeterna enchantment, with this tools will last 1/3 longer per enchantment level before wearing out.

• Turquoise gives the Amplius enchantment, this increases probability of random drops (eg. more flint from gravel), and also gives more minerals when used in picks.

• Amethyst gives the Velox enchantment, with this tools dig 1/3 faster per enchantment level (Level 3 Aeterna enchantment is faster than mese!).

• Sapphire gives the Indomitus enchantment, with this tools will always return the item being dug, rather than the usual drop, this means you can dig clay blocks, or mud with grass, and actually get those blocks: not that it's not yet possible to dig stone+ore, if you try this with an Indomitus enchanted pick you will lose the ore! This will be fixed in a future release.

• Sunstone gives the Ignis enchantment, with this tools dig the cooked version of the dropped item, (eg. sand becomes glass), this won't cook minerals for you though, it will only cook the item being dug. This enchantment will also cause tools to wear out faster, unless countered with an Aeterna enchantment.

To increase the enchantment level, just craft with more of the same enchantment; so a pick made with 3 Aeterna enchanted mithril ingots, will have Aeterna level 3.
You can also mix enchantments, just use mithril with different enchantments on it; so a pick made with 1 Aeterna and 2 Velox ingots, will have Aterna level 1 and Velox level 2.

As a result of these changes, you should find that Mese in you inventory will change to Unbound Mithril ingots. Mese in the worlds will be changed to Mithril ore, or Mithril blocks.
Also, Gems can be found deep underground, but may occassionally be found at higher levels.

So you can tell what kind of enchantments mithril or tools have now, there's extended info added to the tooltips. This includes not only what enchantments an item/tool has, but will also say if it can be cooked into something else, or be used as furnace fuel, as well as the how much foods and drinks will improve your hunger and/or health.

Tools also now give different amounts of minerals when digging, or in some cases none at all; wood picks will give one coal, but will only give stone for other minerals. Likewise anything less than a steel pick will give no mithril or gems, but may give up to 3 of the ore. Amplius enchanted may give up to 5 ores, with increased chances of this with higher level Amplius enchantments.

We've also added to the HUD indicators to show the times for Energy and Protection effects. Limestone has had it's first craftable items added, it can be used for stairs, slabs, and walls. Plus fences now has different types when crafted from pine or jungle wood, the same has happened for bookshelves, making them craftable from pine for the first time. A slight change to getting gunpowder; saltpeter used to be obtained by cooking mese, it is now a rare random drop from sand (like flint from gravel, but not as common). Farms can also now be made a little further from water, so mud doesn't have to be directly next to water to be ploughed into farm dirt.

A few bug fixes and tweaks:
- fix darkened screen with old style HUD
- wolves drop meat
- credits screen reorganising
- add ability to disable mobs from gui
- allow fast swimming
- bookshelves should not disappear when dug
- make far mobs less likely to move, and thus send less data
- make it work on bsd again
- make images fit in inventory grids better

I've just released 1508.01, as the forge was shown to not work in some cases, this is now fixed.

So there we go!
Downloads are available as usual, from the downloads page.
The Mac build is now also available.

1508.00.png

Last edited by darkrose (2015-08-24 11:40:41)

Support Voxelands on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/voxelands

#2 2015-08-23 20:38:02

loh
Tradutor
Website

Re: 1508.00 - 1508.01

Good new features. Voxelands grows increasingly.
Stays that way...

I no longer feel torn between two worlds
I already have my own world
It is one that I expand and where there are no limits
From what I can do, what I can try. (Sem Limites - O anoitecer das estações)

#3 2015-08-24 22:59:05

Wuzzy
Translaterer

This sounds like a huge change in gameplay, I should try it out later.

Fun fact: I just realized my old trusty mese pickaxe turned into a creative pickaxe. xD

#4 2015-08-25 04:30:49

Cg_Boy

Nice that there's now fast swimming.

#5 2015-08-25 06:16:27

darkrose
Administrator

Wuzzy wrote:

This sounds like a huge change in gameplay, I should try it out later.

Fun fact: I just realized my old trusty mese pickaxe turned into a creative pickaxe. xD

Yeah, you get to keep it till it wears out, but they're no longer craftable. But mithril!

Support Voxelands on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/voxelands

Board footer