Voxelands Forum

The official Voxelands discussion forum

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-20 13:51:47

darkrose
Administrator

It's that time again, 1506.00 is now released!

The big thing this time is graphics, after much experimenting over the past few months I finally dug in and completely rewrote the way map meshes are generated. This now gives a much more optimised mesh with better frame rates, faster block updates, near instant lighting updates, and less cpu usage.
Plus some new things like round tree trunks:
1506.00.png
Better, smoother lighting:
1506.00-4.png
And a much larger visible world:
1506.00-1.png

There's still some areas that need some work, and the odd lighting bug here and there, but you should notice the improvements so far all over the place; water, trees, leaves, farms, grass (and especcially the way it grows), roofs, rails, flags, a lot of player texture updates, too many things to list.

There's also a new effect for when you're running low on air:
1506.00-3.png

Outside of graphics, a few of us got together and fixed the bug with deleting/clearing maps, so this should now work without issue. Redhound discovered that mobs were causing lag for some people, so the network code for them was rewritten to reduce packet count and datasize to hopefully fix this. While we were in the network code, a bit of optimising and speeding up was done to the map sending, digging, and placing code. Some new sounds were added for when the player is hurt, eating, drinking, or is low on energy.

We've added some new items and game mechanics for you too: Look around in jungles to find tea and coffee plants, these grow at different ground heights and can be used to make tea/coffee drinks. There's also glass bottles (for drinking water, apple juice, and grape juice), and steel bottles (for hot water, tea, and coffee). You can get hot water by making a cauldron - also new - punch it with a bucket of water to fill it, then add some fuel in its inventory to heat the water, once the water's hot, you can punch it with steel bottles to get the hot water, or wait for it to cool down, then punch with glass bottles to get cool drinking water. Check the craft guides in-game for all the new recipes. Tea and Coffee plants can also be farmed.
1506.00-2.png

The big thing with drinks is that they give you special effects, tea will protect you from cold damage, and coffee will give you an energy boost. Apple and grape juices also have some effects, but don't last as long as hot drinks. On the HUD, the health heart will turn blue when you have cold protection, and the energy ring will turn blue when you have an energy boost.

On the subject of energy, some people didn't like that pushing past the energy limit caused damage, so now when you run out of energy you're completely stopped from running or jumping till it recharges a bit. Drink some juice to speed up energy refill, or coffee to get an energy boost.

Finally, there's now an option to show the slot numbers on the wieldring to help finding the right number key shortcut, just add "enable_wieldindex = true" in voxelands.conf to get this. We'll likely add that to the settings menu soon, but it's not there yet. Mobs no longer show a visible selection box, instead your crosshair will turn red when you're pointing at a mob. A bug was fixed with key assignment, space can now be assigned as a key. Lastly we changed the collision box for fences so you can't walk through them anymore.

As usual the latest version can be downloaded from the download page.

Support Voxelands on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/voxelands

#2 2015-06-20 21:21:57

redhound

Re: 1506.00

Very nice, thanks! cool

#3 2015-06-21 14:25:47

cHyper

+1 nice changelog ... wink

#4 2015-06-21 16:00:24

Ivcho

There is a bug in the energy system . When I run out of energy I can't only jump , but i can walk /

#5 2015-06-21 16:13:46

darkrose
Administrator

You're meant to be able to walk. Running out of energy only stops you jumping and running.

#6 2015-06-21 18:14:10

Ivcho

Oh I see

#7 2015-06-22 19:31:05

Wuzzy
Translaterer

Great new changes, I really appreciate that.

The new drinks system is also interesting, but it is a bit tricky to get into it.

First, I noticed that it is not possible to bottle hot water out of a cauldron unless you use exactly 1 steel bottle. A stack of more bottles (for example, 25) won't work. Well, this is unexpected.
I was completely unable to bottle cold water from a cauldron, even when holding only 1 glass bottle. I put water into a cauldron, then took 1 glass bottle and punched the cauldron, but nothing happened. :-(

It is also inconvenient or inconsistent that you can't stack filled bottles (only 1 per slot allowed). Or is this intentional?

It also seems you forgot to mark the string “Fuel” for translation.

IMO, the steel bottle icons need to be reworked, because there are 4 identical icons for three different items (steel bottle, tea, coffee, hot water).
I have made 3 quick images to fix that; combine them with the steel bottle icon:

Tea icon: https://i.imgur.com/j8lkAKz.png (symolizes tea bag)
Coffee icon: https://i.imgur.com/ciq0Cn9.png (symbolizes coffee bean)
Hot water icon: https://i.imgur.com/fz1XvkY.png (symbolizes water drop)

Maybe those are not the best icons but those are better than nothing. An alternative way would be a simple recoloring of a portion of the steel bottle to indicate the 3 content types (as if you could see inside the bottle), but I was too lazy to do that.

#8 2015-06-22 19:52:51

darkrose
Administrator

Those icons are cool, I'll use them! Oops on the missing translation string.

To fill glass bottles the water in the cauldron needs to have been heated, then allowed to cool. It takes about 2 minutes for a hot cauldron to cool down, the info text will say "Cauldron is cool" when you can fill glass bottles.

Full bottles not being stackable is deliberate, as the bottle changes type (full -> empty) when you drink from it; it the bottles stacked you'd just lose the bottle (or worse, lose your stack of full bottles). Besides, it seems reasonable that you'd only have one bottle in your hand if you want to fill that bottle, or drink from it.

Board footer