Voxelands Forum

The official Voxelands discussion forum

You are not logged in.

#26 2015-06-29 03:37:44

melkior
Website

Re: Melkior's Work Log

Hey Menche .. ah okay thanks at least I can stop wasting time trying to troubleshoot.

I guess I'll need to figure that other stuff out - will probably be a few days as my day is about up here and its back to work in the AM.

#27 2015-07-04 01:10:18

matyze

IMHO, the antlers would be more deer-like with a curve like this:

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=htt … er.jpg&f=1

Other than that, great job!

Saving the world, one mosquito at a time...

#28 2015-07-12 20:35:11

melkior
Website

matyze,

Yep you are correct, the more polygons I pour in to the antlers the more definition, curve and detail I can get - similar to the picture you linked.

I went with what I had not because I thought it was 'awesome' but because I was able to get a very low polygon usage out of it and give the impression of antlers.

Once I'm able to (or allowed to) commit the work your welcome to download it and modify it if you want.   Iterative art is often best.

thanks for the feedback!

#29 2015-07-13 09:18:47

darkrose
Administrator

melkior: as mentioned by Menche, the usual workflow is to create your own repository clone on gitlab, which you push your changes to, then submit a merge request / pull request so I can merge it into the main repository.

This lets us review changes before they're in the main codebase, and is pretty typical for most free/libre/open source software projects.

btw, 1507.00 will likely be released on the 24th or 25th, would be cool to have this in there.

Support Voxelands on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/voxelands

#30 2015-07-13 23:09:14

melkior
Website

darkrose: yep I saw his comment ; my work has a post-release escalation that's been driving OT so I haven't had time to even figure out how to do that - so it wont be too soon.

Best I can do if you want it is either open the line so I can submit it - or I can zip the files and send them to you or something? 

Or we just wait until the time comes I can mess around with that other stuff (never done that so don't know what it entails), I have no ETA for that - will have to be after my work escalation is done.

#31 2015-07-16 18:57:23

melkior
Website

I had some time this AM (took the day off work) and I have sent some kind of merge request thingy .. I've never done that so I don't know if I didn't anything right or got it all wrong.

ball is in darkrose's court

#32 2015-07-17 06:58:29

darkrose
Administrator

Hi melkior, I had to manually fetch, rebase, and merge to get it in nicely; there was a bunch of double commits, and you'd made the merge request against master instead of next. But ultimately, it's in! yey!

I wrote this guide a while ago, which might be of use/interest to you; basically howto use the git command line, with some info on how to contribute to free/libre/open source projects:
http://daffodil.ltmnet.com/darkroses_gu … th_git.txt

(probably should've given you that before you had to work it out yourself).

Also, adding you to credits, Melkior or Erebusman or something else?

#33 2015-07-17 14:13:22

melkior
Website

darkrose wrote:

Hi melkior, I had to manually fetch, rebase, and merge to get it in nicely; there was a bunch of double commits, and you'd made the merge request against master instead of next. But ultimately, it's in! yey!

I wrote this guide a while ago, which might be of use/interest to you; basically howto use the git command line, with some info on how to contribute to free/libre/open source projects:
http://daffodil.ltmnet.com/darkroses_gu … th_git.txt

(probably should've given you that before you had to work it out yourself).

Also, adding you to credits, Melkior or Erebusman or something else?

Ah okay I'll check those instructions out thanks!

For credits probably Carl "melkior" Kidwell or such so it contains with my real life name and forum goers would know who to ask questions to if needed with my forum tag as well.

#34 2015-07-27 03:44:13

melkior
Website

Next I was taking a stab at replacing the shark model, this time I decided to go with a pre-historic shark .. its a fantasy game after all!

So this is loosely based off of the Dunkleosteus fossils

dunkleshark1.jpg

Model is done just need to animate it and then put it in the game.

#35 2015-09-17 05:24:33

elky
Chief Wikifier

Hi melkior,

I've been playing around with blender the past week and wondering where you're up to with the wolf and shark models. I had a play around with a sheep model from opengameart hoping to replace the ducksheep, and I did my first rigging and animations on some new fish models which I sourced meshes and textures for from blendswap and opengameart. It's been a learning experience wink

Also, do you have the .blend source files for the deer up anywhere? It'd be nice to have them available somewhere since blender can't actually import .b3d or .x, just export them.

Thanks!

#36 2015-09-19 05:24:32

melkior
Website

Hi Elky,

The Shark is waiting to be animated still ; my day job is a software shop and once per quarter we go through a 'major' release which requires sort of a major effort , lots of overtime etc... so I have not been able to animate it yet (essentially its been on hold).

This  major release is supposed to go out next week (if it is on time .. )and then my schedule should relax just a bit and I'll be able to animate it without too much trouble I hope!

The wolf is on longer hold because of a series of problems:

1) I cant view the source models so I have no idea of the orientation, look, scale of the current one
2) I can't cause one to spawn in game so I can view it in game
3) even if I ignore 1 && 2 then my problem is if I just put it in and make guesses I'll never know if its right because I can't see it in game!

So I'm leaving that until I've been through more of the models and maybe have time to play with some code and do some kind of on demand console spawning or something.

That's very cool to hear you have been playing around with stuff yourself, glad to see you experimenting.

I don't have the .blend for the deer posted anywhere, I would be willing to include it in the source files if we had a place for it but that also bloats the repo to have all the model sources so I doubt that's an approach that darkrose probably wants to take. 

Otherwise I can try to post it when I have a chance to return to the project when our release is out.

I do have a question for darkrose if she's reading:   I know Voxelands is open source; and by contributing my work it's under that license and that's all good & fine by me ; but having unique/special 3D models for our project adds extra value to it.  We technically comply with the open source requirements by making the .b3d or .x files available in the source code; but limit other peoples ability to do make a derivative work with it for example by not uploading the .blend files (like we're discussing here). 

What are darkrose's or anyone elses thoughts about openly posting the .blend files ? Is this a good idea ? Or should we provide them 'on request' to people who are part of the project?

Naturally if say Minetest were to desire they could download the .b3d or .x files we have and easily integrate our art back in to their project (and that'd probably be perfectly fair to do under the license were using as well anyways so it's all good) but without the .blend files they couldn't make derivative works very easily?

#37 2015-09-19 09:36:03

darkrose
Administrator

Elky suggested on IRC that I create a seperate assets git repo for storing the blend files, plus things like xcf files for textures could go there as well. This sounds like a good idea, so I'll likely do that soon. This will also make it easier for other contributers here to tinker with things in future (so the blend files don't get lost as with a lot of the current models).

I think you must be the only person who isn't getting utterly swarmed by wolves, but I'm redoing the spawning code at the moment, plus also have an experimental mob catcher/spawner which I'll be able to add to the creative chest so you can spawn them at will.

#38 2015-09-19 10:38:17

darkrose
Administrator

#39 2015-09-19 22:08:43

elky
Chief Wikifier

darkrose wrote:

I think you must be the only person who isn't getting utterly swarmed by wolves.

Quite. I'll walk away while flying and come back to 5 of the damned things hovering around under me waiting for a meal.

Things to check:

* do you have aggressive mobs on (probably yes if you have sharks spawning). If not, you can change the settings in advanced settings. Also go in there and turn player damage off if you haven't, or they'll gobble you up while you check out your handiwork.
* do you have lots of sheep and deer around? Kill some, there's a population limit.
* are you hearing wolves howl? That's the sound they make when they spawn.
* is it getting dark? They currently only spawn on the grass tufts at night.

If all that's accounted for, I don't know either.

#40 2015-09-20 03:23:17

melkior
Website

elky wrote:
darkrose wrote:

I think you must be the only person who isn't getting utterly swarmed by wolves.

Quite. I'll walk away while flying and come back to 5 of the damned things hovering around under me waiting for a meal.

Things to check:

* do you have aggressive mobs on (probably yes if you have sharks spawning). If not, you can change the settings in advanced settings. Also go in there and turn player damage off if you haven't, or they'll gobble you up while you check out your handiwork.
* do you have lots of sheep and deer around? Kill some, there's a population limit.
* are you hearing wolves howl? That's the sound they make when they spawn.
* is it getting dark? They currently only spawn on the grass tufts at night.

If all that's accounted for, I don't know either.

Ah it might be two things:

A) I was testing deer and bucks so yes I had lots of those spawned and was not killing them AND
B) I wanted to see them clearly so was not letting things progress towards night time

Thanks those might help!

Also good deal on the git repo for source assets I think its a good way to go.  Probably next week if things calm down I'll upload what I have.

#41 2015-10-04 18:04:22

melkior
Website

So .. I got the new asset repo cloned and junked around with everything until I was ready to commit and got that error that says I'm not allowed to commit.

So I'll have to monkey around branching or whatever it is another time when I have another time slice.

Board footer