Voxelands Forum

The official Voxelands discussion forum

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-23 09:03:30

soognarf

multilanguagesupport

i have the file in the source search for translating item description and not found. only for menue i have the translation files found.
i think, i have time for translate the item description to german. exist translations only for menue?

#2 2014-09-23 15:06:31

Szkodnix

Re: multilanguagesupport

Oh well... I could also help with translation into Polish language smile

#3 2014-09-23 17:43:40

darkrose
Administrator

We're actually working on the translation system at the moment; tiemay's made a few changes that it looks like has everything working right, while MavJS is trying to get it all working on Mac OSX. So I guess the next step is expanding what can be translated? Once that's done, we'll be able add translations for item descriptions.

Support Voxelands on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/voxelands

#4 2014-09-23 19:49:01

darkrose
Administrator

Ok, I just jumped straight in and did it, we've also now setup a transifex account in the hopes of getting some other languages done too.

https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/voxelands/

#5 2014-09-25 20:51:05

tiemay
Git Breaker

I worked on updatepo.sh some more. If I understand transifex correctly, we'll need to update the pot file manually for each modification, addition, or deletion of a translatable string in the source code, and transifex will manage updating/creating new po files. So I added an option to updatepo.sh to allow updating only the pot file, however if that's all we'll be using it for in the foreseeable future, maybe we should rename it to updatepot.sh which by default will only update the pot file, and can optionally update the po files as well (though so long as we use transifex, we shouldn't need to actually use that option).

#6 2014-10-29 14:32:44

Wuzzy
Translaterer

Hi! I’m glad to see the translation system improved. I just requested German in Transifex.
Besides, it would be helpful if you could announce if you plan to release in a couple of days, so the translators can finish the translation, so it can become part of the release.

I noticed that a couple of strings are suboptimal for translation.
Strings like “'s Home Flag” and other strings which require some parameter. They are all just created by string concatenation.

String concatenation is a bad idea when you have to translate the strings, sometimes it makes translation hard, and sometimes impossible, because it forces a certain order of the arguments.

So can you please change the following strings to proper format strings?:

• “Locking Chest owned by '” → “Locking Chest owned by %s” (quotation marks removed because the locking chest is not owned by a quote)

• “Border Stone owned by '” → “Border Stone owned by %s” (dito)

• “Locking Furnace is overloaded (”

• “Locking Furnace is out of fuel (”

• “Locking Furnace is inactive (”

• “Locking Furnace is active (”

• “ seconds to detonation” → “%d seconds to detonation”

• “Connecting to server... (timeout in ”, “ seconds)” → “Connecting to server ... (timeout in %d seconds)”

• “Access denied. Reason: ” → “Access denied. Reason: %s”

• “Saved screenshot to '” → “Screenshot saved to %s”

• “Profiler shown (page”, (rest of string is not marked for translation) → “Profiler shown (page %d of %d)”

• “Minimum viewing range changed to ” → “Minimum viewing range changed to %d”

• “'s Home Flag” → “Home Flag of %s”

• Creative chest (and other formspecs): “Page”, “of” → “Page %d of %d”

• “Armed explosive: ” → ?

(The part right from the arrow is just a suggestion.)

#7 2014-10-29 16:54:55

darkrose
Administrator

I was actually wondering if the concatenation was going to be a problem as I was doing them, but went for a "get it out there and see if anyone complains" approach... now I know to change it smile

I'll try to give some warning about releases - I usually give some warning on irc. But generally releases are somewhere around the first weekend after the 20th of the month; but not always.

#8 2014-11-02 07:19:58

darkrose
Administrator

Ok, I think the concatenation's all gone, I've just updated the pot file on transifex.

#9 2014-11-05 12:01:46

redhound

Just finished first Russian translation round on Transifex.

Some issues:

- Some params still quoted by '', like: "Locking Chest owned by '%s'"
- Some strings with params should have plural forms, like: "Armed Explosive: %d seconds till detonation"

General thoughts:

- "Jungle" parts should be more specific about what jungle tree is that, as there are languages (including Russian), that not allow generalizations with foreign words (Hindi?) so easily. "Tropic" word should be better, as for it we have adjective in Russian ("Тропический"), but something concrete like "Palm" or "Bamboo" should be even better.

- Does key names like "Escape", "Tab", etc. really require translation?..

#10 2014-11-05 15:00:30

Wuzzy
Translaterer

- Some strings with params should have plural forms, like: "Armed Explosive: %d seconds till detonation"

Yes. Another string is the timeout string (I don’t know the exact string right now).

- Does key names like "Escape", "Tab", etc. really require translation?..

Yes. Some languages do have translations for key names, but not always. Anyways, they should be definitely be translatable. In case your language does not have a translation or even a transliteration, you may keep it as it was.

#11 2014-11-14 10:52:58

darkrose
Administrator

redhound: If you want to use Tropic you can, I'm not really sure what kind of tree it is; something with vines growing up it.

I often single quote things, you don't have to, just ignore them if you want.

Also, plurals are now available for the 2 strings mentioned.

#12 2014-11-21 07:50:57

redhound

Updated Russian translation for new strings, including plurals for "Armed Explosive: %d seconds till detonation". Also fixed some translated strings what do not fit in labels ("Confirm Password", "Toggle fly", "Toggle fast").

#13 2014-11-21 08:20:03

redhound

darkrose wrote:

redhound: If you want to use Tropic you can, I'm not really sure what kind of tree it is; something with vines growing up it.

I often single quote things, you don't have to, just ignore them if you want.

Also, plurals are now available for the 2 strings mentioned.

I've used "Palm" ("Пальма") as "Jungle Tree" substitution for all jungle parts. Not all tropical trees are palms, you know, and they are often just big grass (like banana), but resulting part names like "Palm Wood Plank" ("Пальмовая доска") have more native sound to russian speaker.

The "Jungle Grass" translation is really a headache! The best substitution I'd able to come up is "Fern" ("Папоротник"). Fern have spores, so I could think of them as "Cotton Seeds" what that "Jungle Grass" should somehow produce...

Last edited by redhound (2014-11-21 08:20:33)

#14 2014-11-21 08:47:46

darkrose
Administrator

Palm and Fern work for me, I've been meaning to remove the recipe for jungle grass > cotton recipe anyway, especially now there's cotton plants and sheep to provide string for making cotton.

#15 2015-02-12 00:08:55

loh
Tradutor
Website

Hello World! wink

It's been a while I've been looking for a game to minecraft style, good and free.
I tried minetest and then I found out that his development is facing only engine and the only grace it is the subgames, I decided to look for a better option. Had already tested the Freeminer before and not enjoyed. Searching the net, I found the voxelands and since I started playing, I liked and I also saw a lot of potential for this project. My wife also liked and even became interested in helping to translate the game to our language (PT-BR).

Well, I already have an account at Transifex and have asked, and from what I have seen, was already accepted my request. Glad to help this project to expand ...

Stay in peace ...

I no longer feel torn between two worlds
I already have my own world
It is one that I expand and where there are no limits
From what I can do, what I can try. (Sem Limites - O anoitecer das estações)

#16 2015-02-12 03:56:37

darkrose
Administrator

Welcome, I saw and accepted your help in translating this morning, thanks smile

#17 2015-02-13 02:33:27

nadnadnad

I'm not sure if there's a lot of Viet players of Voxelands, but I sent a language request for Vietnamese (vi). Won't be perfect Vietnamese from Viet Nam, but I'll try my best.

(That is, if you feel Viet is okay on the list, 'cause I don't think we have even Chinese yet. Do we?)

Last edited by nadnadnad (2015-02-13 02:38:20)

#18 2015-02-13 02:35:32

nadnadnad

darkrose wrote:

Palm and Fern work for me, I've been meaning to remove the recipe for jungle grass > cotton recipe anyway, especially now there's cotton plants and sheep to provide string for making cotton.

But, what if you're against the domestication of plants and the slaughter of animals? tongue

Last edited by nadnadnad (2015-02-13 02:35:40)

#19 2015-02-13 06:18:08

redhound

nadnadnad wrote:

But, what if you're against the domestication of plants and the slaughter of animals? tongue

Plants are also have feelings, I'm pretty sure of it.

#20 2015-02-14 02:38:28

nadnadnad

redhound wrote:
nadnadnad wrote:

Plants are also have feelings, I'm pretty sure of it.

I make sure my flowers are all happy, so if they do have feelings, I'm sure hope they're not mad at me or something. tongue

#21 2015-02-15 14:40:26

loh
Tradutor
Website

The translation Portuguese-Brazil has been updated and completed successfully. big_smile
I appreciate the opportunity to be helping this great potential project. cool
One question: This translation will already be available in the next release (1502.00)?

#22 2015-02-16 19:33:12

redhound

loh wrote:

The translation Portuguese-Brazil has been updated and completed successfully. big_smile

Congrats! smile

#23 2015-02-16 20:30:39

darkrose
Administrator

Yey, more languages!
We might skip 1502.00 altogether, but it will be in the next release, whether that's 1502.00 or 1503.00.

#24 2015-02-22 19:24:30

nadnadnad

loh wrote:

I appreciate the opportunity to be helping this great potential project. cool
One question: This translation will already be available in the next release (1502.00)?

Hurrah! Parabéns meus amigos brasileiros! (Portuguese is such a cute, nasally language smile )

#25 2015-02-22 21:11:26

loh
Tradutor
Website

nadnadnad wrote:

Hurrah! Parabéns meus amigos brasileiros! (Portuguese is such a cute, nasally language smile )

Obrigado pela força aí, amigo! smile

Edit: Translation revised again.

Last edited by loh (2015-04-13 20:52:22)

Board footer