Voxelands Forum

The official Voxelands discussion forum

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-08 12:08:43

darkrose
Administrator

So I'm back, and here's 1704.00 to prove it!

Menche was supposed to be looking after releases from now on, but ultimately proved unreliable, as you can tell.
So I'm back to doing releases, they won't be as often as I used to do them, but I'll probably aim for one every 3-4 months, hopefully.

Changes for this release include texture animation by blockmaster2000, there's still some bugs being hunted down in this, but you can disable it in the settings menu if it's causing too many problems for you.
Anders B found a new digging sound for dirt, which has needed replacing for a while, I made some changes to the file he found to get it right, so it is muchly better than it was now.
Vahe has added an Armenian translation, and to ensure support for all character glyphs across languages the default font has been changed to GNU Unifont.
Meanwhile I''ve got the server list working again, by reverting some changes made by Menche.
I've also added Blueberry and Raspberry bushes, which are generated in the grassland and jungle biomes respectively, these will continuously grow fruit during spring, which can be harvested by punching the bush when the berries are visible on it. For older maps you will need to find some newly generated areas to find these, but they can by dug and replanted. The berries are edible, of course.
Also new by me is a campfire, this can be used to cook food and a couple of other things, but not stone and higher-level ores. This is crafted from sticks and rocks, so can therefore be made without having to dig stone.
There's also been a few bugs fixed here and there, I freely admit that I haven't kept track of everything that's happened while I was away.

You can download 1704.00 straight off git, or here's a tarball of it.
No doubt someone will do a windows build at some point.

Now, a little notice.
The official servers, the website, wiki, and this forum will soon be getting migrated to a new cheaper vps, as I simply can't afford to keep it all up otherwise.
As such there may be some interruptions to everything at some point while this happens.
The game servers will be updated and have their maps reset when they're migrated, but let's face it they're a griefed mess at the moment anyway.

If you want to help keep voxelands alive, become a Patron on Patreon to help cover costs; patreon donations are literally the sole reason that everything's not being shut down entirely.

Tada! Screenshot!
Enjoy

1704.00.png

Support Voxelands on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/voxelands

#2 2017-04-08 17:23:56

Cg_Boy

Re: 1704.00

Cool, I actually thought Voxelands wasn't being developed anymore.

Thanks for the release!

#3 2017-04-08 21:08:17

cHyper

Where is the win32 version?

#4 2017-04-09 05:25:11

darkrose
Administrator

Waiting on someone who is able to compile it.

#5 2017-04-11 03:25:19

neoh4x0r

Cg_Boy wrote:

Cool, I actually thought Voxelands wasn't being developed anymore.
Thanks for the release!

If you want to stay up to date on the development you might want to occasionally check here https://gitlab.com/voxelands/voxelands/commits/next

#6 2017-04-11 13:27:42

Sick-D!!
Website

New Release? Amazing! I will test it in the next couple of days smile

Thank you darkrose smile

Blocks!! Blocks everywhere !!! big_smile

#7 2017-04-11 14:33:29

cHyper

Sick-D!! wrote:

New Release? Amazing! I will test it in the next couple of days smile

Thank you darkrose smile

also thank you Darkrose. currently i play the newest version under linux. win32 version coming soon, hopefully.

#8 2017-04-11 16:42:05

nic96
Supporter

Nice. I was wondering when the next release would be here. What still bugs me  the most is the terrible animation of animals and I think I'd prefer if they had a more blocky look. I might get into it sometime to improve some of this stuff.

Any progress on killing Irrlicht or any ideas when this will happen? Also I prefer OGRE over Irrlicht, but plain OpenGL is fine with me as well.

I don't really know much of how voxelands code works, but maybe take a look at this code: http://www.volumesoffun.com/polyvox-about/
And at this forum topic: http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=63943

Maybe I could help out with something sometime, but don't really know where to get started and I might end up not having enough time.

#9 2017-04-12 14:25:03

cHyper

More features please!!
more elements like bushes and campfire?

JhH65tC.png

Ja1M8tU.png

#10 2017-04-15 16:50:07

redhound

Great news! smile Any plans for next release?

#11 2017-04-21 10:10:28

Tom the Dwaggy

I'm glad you're still working on Voxelands. I really wish I could donate to the project, but sadly my own finances are stretched way too thin.

#12 2017-04-21 15:50:13

cHyper

Where can i donate voxelands with a paypal money? !!

#13 2017-04-21 19:04:00

darkrose
Administrator

There's a paypal button here: http://www.voxelands.com/download.html

redhound wrote:

A few, I might actually create some polls for a sense of where to focus the direction.

#14 2017-04-24 04:13:15

neoh4x0r

darkrose wrote:

There's a paypal button here: http://www.voxelands.com/download.html

redhound wrote:

A few, I might actually create some polls for a sense of where to focus the direction.

One thing I would suggest (if it hasn't been already) is to create more diverse devices for circuits such as:

* temperature sensor (senses heat) [would work much like the solar panel and could allow a lava node to be over it]
* water sensor (unlike the water wheel this would allow a water node to be over it)
* ignition coil / pilot light (unlike the fire starter this device could be used repeatedly to light TNT, etc)
* timer (make something happen at a specific time or to repeat a number of specific times)
* solenoid valve (when activated would allow water or lava to flow through -- this would be a full block-node)
* transistor switches (these would use the input part (like the not gate) to either turn on or off a device attached directly to it
   -- the main difference between this and the not gate is that transistor would not produce any power in the off state)
* diodes - (limits the direction that power can flow)
* the ability to run wires along any surface (particularly vertical surfaces)

Perhaps even a circuit node that can be programmed and have access to the environmental data to handle
more complex tasks.

Last edited by neoh4x0r (2017-04-24 04:15:24)

#15 2017-04-24 14:32:08

roland

Great! I Upgraded from 1602 to 1704. Im trying out the mountain map version. Looks great. The Big Foots are super, and the chests in cobblestone shelters with a surprise are funny and helpful (i.e. steel ingots) in survival mode. Sheep I did not meet so far, and deer very few, but a lot of big foots. Thanks for a new release with delicious raspberries! The water motions look super!. Please look at my new feature request.

Last edited by roland (2017-04-24 14:33:42)

#16 2017-04-24 19:13:41

prius

Hi,

it will be very cool to get near the time an windows build if an new release will be completed.

Greets

#17 2017-05-05 10:24:27

Wuzzy
Translaterer

Yay! I'm glad this project is still alive. Thanks for reviving it. :-)

But … ummm … dumb question … but …
Have you forgotten the translations?
https://www.transifex.com/voxelands/vox … dashboard/

There have been no update on Transifex for over 3 releases now. :-(
Which means the translations on Voxelands are probably still from 2016 or something.

Oh, and your Patreon page is dangerously worded:

Voxelands is a Free Software, and completely Free To Play voxelworld sandbox construction and adventure game.

The term “Free To Play” will likely cause many gamers run away screaming. “Free To Play” is the name and euphemism of a disgusing marketing model which actually isn't free (without cost) because of many pointless “in-app” purchases. Thankfully, this is not the case for Voxelands. Even if you don't mean it this way, this term should be removed because it has very bad connotations.

“Free Software” is the correct term here.

Oh, and I think it may help to put a 1704.00 release announcement on the Patreon page as well. So people following this page know this project lives on. ;-)

Edit: Did you know that Patreon charges a 5% fee for pledges?

Last edited by Wuzzy (2017-05-05 10:41:33)

#18 2017-05-09 09:20:48

darkrose
Administrator

Transifex was updated before release, and there was a big spike in translations happening just before this release... though not all the translations were updated this time around, hopefully this will improve for the next release though.

The term 'Free Software' in this case refers to Voxelands being, well, Free Software. Thus 'Voxelands is a Free Software, and completely Free To Play' is meant to indicate that it is free in both meanings of the word; the joys of the English language.

I specifically worded it as 'completely Free to Play' to avoid any suggestion of a pay-to-win model, but if you have an alternative to 'Free to Play' that means "you don't have to pay to play this" without the negative connotations, I'm certainly open to it.

Yep, Patreon now charges patrons, they used to charge creators... which meant that creators could receive as little as 60c (or less) to the dollar in some cases after paypal/stripe/patreon fees, it's now more like 90c to the dollar after all the changes they made to the way fees work.

#19 2017-05-10 04:07:38

Wuzzy
Translaterer

“free of charge”
“gratis”
“without cost”

Pick one. Those should be clear. tongue

Note that just adding “completely” does not really change the meaning of “free to play”. It just emphasizes it. At least that's how it may be read. Weasel words are bad. Just avoid this term since it is already occupied for the … ehm … “business model”.

Transifex was updated before release, and there was a big spike in translations happening just before this release... though not all the translations were updated this time around, hopefully this will improve for the next release though.

Oops, you're right. Forget my complain. Apparently someone else managed to complete German translation before me. That's a nice surprise! :-) Because German stood at 100% whenever I checked, I assumed there were no Transifex updates. xD

#20 2017-05-10 07:10:43

redhound

darkrose wrote:

Meanwhile I''ve got the server list working again, by reverting some changes made by Menche.

I still have dead UK Voxelands Survival Server in Server List in a client and no servers from http://www.voxelands.com/servers.html

Last edited by redhound (2017-05-10 07:11:10)

#21 2017-05-10 08:45:33

darkrose
Administrator

Wuzzy wrote:

“free of charge”
“gratis”
“without cost”

Pick one. Those should be clear. tongue

Note that just adding “completely” does not really change the meaning of “free to play”. It just emphasizes it. At least that's how it may be read. Weasel words are bad. Just avoid this term since it is already occupied for the … ehm … “business model”.

Oops, you're right. Forget my complain. Apparently someone else managed to complete German translation before me. That's a nice surprise! :-) Because German stood at 100% whenever I checked, I assumed there were no Transifex updates. xD

I posted a notice on the forums, then waited... and eventually meldrian 'volunteered'. big_smile

redhound wrote:
darkrose wrote:

I still have dead UK Voxelands Survival Server in Server List in a client and no servers from http://www.voxelands.com/servers.html

Is the uk server in your favourites list? That'd make it show in the list, even if it's not up.
There's currently a server in the list without a name, which is causing problems (will fix for the next release, or something)... meanwhile you can download the list from http://api.voxelands.com/list and just give the nameless server a name, which should give you a list of sorts.

#22 2017-06-21 21:47:15

Lerura
Website

How close are we to a win-build?

#23 2017-06-22 00:35:23

trev

Hello! This is my first post, and I am new to Voxelands.

I am so glad that this project is still alive. A few years ago I downloaded an outdated tarball of Minetest Classic, and a somewhat old Voxelands build.
I just now came back to see that the project is still here and progressing in the direction that it is going. There is very much a need for what you are doing. Thanks!

I have been looking for a while for alternatives to the all-famous Minecraft, without finding a game that meets all of these points:

--- Is actually fun: this doesn't depend on level of completion necessarily, but too many of these games are just straight clones of what exists. The creativity Voxelands has is encouraging, really. Like seasons, for example. Great addition to the gameplay experience.

--- Is open source: many games like this are corporations that spew out Android games for third-party app stores. This is sad. Voxelands is part of the FOSS community, which I deeply respect. And, I like forking and modifying the code. I have a few years of hobby C++ experience.

--- Has a character creator: this is really nice.

--- Has multiplayer: for the longest time now, I have desired to start a <VoxelGameX> server to play with 10 or more people. Voxelands looks like a fun game to play online.

--- Doesn't lag: being written in a non-GC language really helps (cough Java -- although Java is a nice language overall), hardware accelerated graphics (of course with OpenGL (or DirectX)), and good (UDP!) networking to prevent stop of the world TCP latency (again, Minecraft).

So overall, Voxelands doesn't just look like another alternative. I see in it a well designed game (technically and artfully) and I am really excited to explore the possibilities of using, even possibly working on it.

See you all around!

#24 2017-06-22 00:37:14

trev

Is anyone responsible for Windows builds? I use Linux, but I own a license to Win10 on a Dell laptop. I might be able to send a ZIP of run-in-place binaries if you want them, although the machine is much too frustrating for regular builds.

#25 2017-06-25 20:15:58

McBean56545

I am starting to think that a Windows release is not going to be made. I really want to be able to play the game, but downloading an older version doesn't seem like a good idea. Is there anyone in charge of making the game available for Windows owners?

Board footer